web page hit counter

Monday, December 11, 2006

DayTripr : Build Something You Want

I started DayTripr because I wanted to use it, and I have been.[1] The most surprising thing so far has been just how soon I forget most of my life. I'm talking trips from last month that it turns out I barely remember. (We went there? Oh yeah! And that other place, too. And I totally forgot that place we saw that we want to check out next time!)

Another fun thing has been reading over pages from other family members (I roped my Dad into helping out with testing) It makes me feel like I'm participating even though we're living 1600 miles away.

That's great and all, but just because I use it doesn't mean anyone else will. There are certainly sufficient technical glitches to be off putting to all but the most dedicated user. So what makes DayTripr special? Why should people use it in preference (or in addition to) the plethora of "Travel 2.0" sites out there? I'm still working out the full answer, but in the mean time, here's a couple quick things I'm pretty sure about:

DayTripr isn't about airlines and hotels. There's an easy stream of money from facilitating reservations, but DayTripr is about day trips, darnit. One day and one day only.[2] By removing about 90% of the focus of a normal travel site, DayTripr is free to focus on other stuff.

DayTripr is evolving to be about people, not about places. Think of it as a personal travel planner/diary that you want to share with friends, not "please rank this hotel on a scale of one to five stars." I don't think the content on DayTripr is going to compare to first class travel writing, but I want the technology to support the sort of personal storytelling that I like to read.

Easy to say, potentially hard to do. I better get coding.

[1] I just finished Karl Schroeder's Lady of Mazes. The book involves how choice of technology affects culture, from the personal level to the experience of a whole civilization. Using DayTripr isn't quite as extreme as total immersion virtual reality, but hey, you work with what you got.

[2] Ok, maybe a day and a half. Why not? But that's not what it's about.

[3] I just made that up. But it sounds good, and for all I know it really is a truism. And if it isn't, it ought to be.


tags: ,

Labels:

You should follow me on twitter here.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How interesting that you should see DayTripr from that perspective. I find that no fiction in the world can compare to any real life story.

Thanks for that.

Cheers
Tisha
http://tishabest.blogspot.com (sorry, blogger beta won't let me comment)

2:48 AM  
Anonymous sports supplies water polo said...

I don't get this. "There are certainly sufficient technical glitches to be off putting to all but the most dedicated user." Could you please enlighten me on this? I keep following all your posts hope you can regularly post more. I get very useful information here. Thanks for having this.

http://sportssupply.com/Swimming-Water-Polo.html"

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home