web page hit counter

Monday, June 26, 2006

Mobile Monday NYC


I just got home from Mobile Monday NYC. I went in a little dubious. Last month they had Adam Greenfield of Everyware fame. I heard him at SXSWi, and he's an amazing speaker. This month, they had no scheduled speaker at all. It was "open mic night." But the Samsung Experience showroom in the Time Warner center is an impressive backdrop for a user group meeting, and there was the promise of free food and drink. I decided to go anyway.

I was glad I did.

The audience more than made up for the lack of a scheduled speaker. I learned, for example, that although getting people initial access to your application over WAP is easy, it can be a little trickier to actually scale it. But not for technical reasons. "Wonder what an Internet without net neutrality would look like? Mobile is just that." I probably got the wording wrong on the quote, but the theme was consistent: the carriers own the space, and it can get ugly out there.

Is it actually true? I don't know, but I certainly have more confidence in information I get from talking directly to people deeply involved in the industry than in random surfing on the Interweb. I'll definitely be back next month.

tags: , , , ,

You should follow me on twitter here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home